Fall 2019 Acting Intensive
Sat, October 12 @ 10:00 am–1:00 pm
A six-week, 12-session intensive acting program designed to provide the skills and vocabulary of acting to those newer to the craft, while deeply challenging and honing the skills of more seasoned actors.
A 12-session intermediate/advanced course in scene work, acting technique, and script analysis is combined with improving performance technique, physical character building, and valuable memorization hacks to add to your actor toolbox. No experience necessary, but investment and commitment required.
Taught by iDiOM Theater founder and Artistic Director Glenn Apollo Hergenhahn-Zhao.
The course is an “intensive” — in addition to the 8 class hours per week, students will be assigned reading, memorizing, and analysis to do outside of class. Ideal for actors who have experience acting on stage or screen.
• Script analysis
• Meisner Acting Method
• Acting fundamentals
• Playing actions using tactics
• Physical training
• Following Impulses
• Blocking Fundamentals
• Performance techniques
• Memorization techniques
One hour of class will take place in our weekly REPETITION LAB. Repetition is an exercise that builds an actor’s ability to be present with their scene partner, focus, endurance, and helps them learn to see how they are affecting others with the tactic choices their character is making.
Students will also have access to our PHYSICAL CONDITIONING STUDIO hours at the center. Four mornings a week, actors gather to train. All acting is physical, no matter what you’re doing on stage. More than just injury prevention and maintaining your health, physical conditioning is an opportunity to support the work we do in class by improving your connection with your body and your breath.
Successful completion will qualify students for our advanced Shakespeare Acting Class in November and December.
• Sat 10/12, 10a–1p (Class) & Sun 10/13, 9-10a (Repetition Lab) & 10-2p (Class)
• Sat 10/19, 10a–1p (Class) & Sun 10/20, 9-10a (Repetition Lab) & 10-2p (Class)
• Sat 10/26, 10a–1p (Class) & Sun 10/27, 9-10a (Repetition Lab) & 10-2p (Class)
• Sat 11/2, 10a–1p (Class) & Sun 11/3, 9-10a (Repetition Lab) & 10-2p (Class)
• Sat 11/9, 10a–1p (Class) & Sun 11/10, 9-10a (Repetition Lab) & 10-2p (Class)
• Sat 11/16, 10a–1p (Class) & Sun 11/17, 9-10a (Repetition Lab) & 10-2p (Class)
PHYSICAL CONDITIONING STUDIO (optional)
8-9a every Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday & Friday, Oct 13 to Nov 14
$395 for Sylvia Center Members (learn more)